Sunday 8 May 2016

Hello!

Hello!


I normally start one of these letters with welcome back and asking about how your summer went. I guess it is a little bit different this time. Today is the first of 36 days that we are going to spend together.  My greatest hope is that this will be a time of learning and fun.  I recently saw the quote “I care more about the people my students become than the scores they get on tests.” The more I teach the more this holds true for me.


This will be my second year of teaching in a school and I'm excited to be part of the Mount Albert family even if only for a short while. In the past few years I have also worked as an outdoor educator for the YMCA teaching everything from mountain biking, to high ropes, to survival. I also worked  as a teacher for the Stratford Shakespeare School. I'm excited to get to know all of you and work with a class full of leaders.


Since I will be learning about you I thought it would be only fair if you learn something about me.  I was born in Nobleton and have spent 24 of my 25 years living there. I am the youngest of two  children having only an older sister.  As a child  my largest influences were nature,  Batman,  I currently own over 100 Batman graphic novels, and of course sports.  My favorite team is still the Toronto Maple Leafs and I hold hope that they will once again win the Stanley Cup.


My biggest influence during my teenage years were my experiences at camp. From working at a summer camp, I discovered I wanted to be a teacher and I loved spending time in the great outdoors. I still try to spend as much of my summer as possible Outdoors.


This past year was a crazy one for me. I got married in May 2015, moved to a new town and got my job with the York Region District School Board.  Most of my down time  right now is either spent learning all I can about being a teacher or at my local CrossFit gym,  this sport has become my new obsession.  My year-long obsession is reading myself and my wife Are already trying to figure out where we are going to put all of our books.


Over the next two months I will have the opportunity to get to know all of you as well.  What is most important to you? It looks like a great few months ahead.


Sincerely,
G. Hussey